College of Medicine (COM)
2017 UCLA Pediatrics Visiting Elective Scholarship Program
The UCLA Department of Pediatrics Visiting Elective Scholarship Program (VESP) provides financial support to senior U.S. medical students who self-identify as being members of groups underrepresented in medicine, and who are interested in applying to UCLA for a senior clinical elective. The goal of the program is to expose traditionally underrepresented senior medical students from institutions outside of the Los Angeles region to clinical training in our academic pediatrics program, and to learn more about the Pediatrics Residency Training Program at UCLA. Benefits of the program include…
- Financial support for travel, housing and living expenses, up to $2,000 for each recipient.
- A faculty mentor will be assigned to each scholarship awardee, with the expectation that the mentor and awardee will meet at least once during the course of the elective period to discuss residency training and other career opportunities at UCLA.
- The program will host a networking event for scholarship recipients to meet residents and faculty from the UCLA Department of Pediatrics.
- Additional meetings with UCLA faculty will be arranged at the request of the student. For example, students interested in Ph.D. training may wish to meet with Division Chairs in relevant areas of research.
UASOM Underrepresented in Medicine Senior Scholarship Program
The Pediatric Clerkship Directors and Pediatric Residency Program Directors are now welcoming applications for the Underrepresented in Medicine Senior Scholarship Program for Pediatrics at the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine. The Scholarship provides funding for visiting fourth year medical students to participate in four-week clinical rotations in the Department of Pediatrics. Our goal is to attract highly talented students from diverse cultural, socioeconomic, and ethnic backgrounds interested in the field of pediatrics to UAB, providing exposure to our excellent training program. Students from backgrounds underrepresented in medicine, including African American, Hispanic/Latino, and Native American, in addition to students whose backgrounds may bring a unique dimension to our training program are encouraged to apply. Scholarship recipients will have opportunity to network with faculty members within the Department of Pediatrics as well as UAB’s Office of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs. Applications will be accepted through July 1, 2017.
Further description and application information can be found at: https://www.uab.edu/medicine/peds/edu-research/fourth-year-elective-acting-internship-information/underrepresented-medicine-scholarship
William Sasser III, MD
Department of Pediatrics
Division of Critical Care Medicine
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Program to support COM students in presenting posters at scientific meetings
This program is designed to support COM students that are planning to present posters (or oral presentations) at scientific meetings. This program is not for faculty presenting posters/oral presentations. The COM already has a faculty development program to support faculty activities.
These are the basic principles for the application:
- A maximum of $100 for trip and meeting expenses can be requested. Please, fill in the attached forms for the respective request and reimbursement.
- For this cycle, the COM can support students for a maximum of $1,000.
- The deadline for this cycle is June 30th, 2017.
- You must be co-author of the presentation (poster or oral) to apply
- The poster or oral presentation must include our institution, CNUCOM
- Only one student can apply per presentation (poster or oral)
- The same student cannot apply twice during this cycle
- Students under the Mini-Grant Program cannot apply
- Students that already have a research scholarship cannot apply
The COM hopes to continue this program during the next cycle, beginning on July 1st, 2017.
Hugo Arias, PhD
Assistant Dean of Research