Phase C - Electives
Clinical course requirements allow for a maximum of 12 weeks of electives in the same specialty area and a maximum of 12 weeks of away rotations upon approval by the Director of Student Affairs & Admissions and the Senior Associate Dean of Medical Education & Accreditation.
Click here for a catalogue of electives.
The following requirements are a guide for students as they select course schedules. Note: one credit signifies one week of elective time.
- At maximum, 12 of the required elective credits may be taken in any one clinical discipline/department.
- At least 15 elective credits must be sponsored by CNUCOM faculty members.
- A maximum of 12 credits may be taken as “away” electives upon approval by the Director of Student Affairs & Admissions and the Senior Associate Dean of Medical Education & Accreditation. “Away” electives are those that are not provided by CNUCOM faculty.
- At maximum, 6 of the required elective credits may be taken in the pre-clinical years and count toward fulfilling graduation requirements. Electives taken during pre-clinical years must be on a pass-fail basis unless petitioned by the sponsoring faculty to be taken for a grade.
- All “away” electives that are existing electives at LCME accredited medical schools must have prior approval from the host school or confirmation of acceptance in the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS).
- All “away” electives that are not existing electives at LCME accredited medical schools and all intramural electives which do not appear in the Course Selection Book (both hereafter titled Unique Electives), must have prior approval by the sponsor of the proposed elective (faculty), the Director of Student Affairs & Admissions, and final approval by the Senior Associate Dean of Medical Education & Accreditation. Students must complete an add/drop form and a Request for Approval of Unique Elective form. The request for such approval must be submitted no less than four weeks before the first day of the proposed elective. Approved elective forms are submitted to the Office of the Registrar for recording.
- Any changes in course schedules—such as adding and dropping electives—must be made at least four weeks before the student anticipates taking the elective. This also includes “away” electives and those which do not appear in the Course Selection Book.
- Students are not permitted to take two electives at the same time unless taking concurrent elective(s). It is the student's responsibility to coordinate requirements for both the elective and concurrent elective so as to not infringe upon the educational experience of either elective.
- Students must meet all prerequisites of a course/elective (unless waived by the course director) before they are be permitted to take the course.